Newborn Photo Tips: Your lifestyle newborn session
Baby is almost here, yay, so it’s time to start thinking about a photo session! Here are some newborn photo tips to prepare for before your session.
• When to schedule your session: Every delivery is different and sometimes families need a few days to settle at home. So we could have our session within the first 14 days but also, we can also go up to three months! Go with what you feel and that works for everyone. I do recommend early morning weekday sessions (think between 8a-10a) so we don’t go into the witching hour.
• How long does a session last: Baby runs the show however plan for 90 minutes to two hours as that allows for nursing/feeding, diaper changes, etc.
• What to wear: Babies – swaddle cloths or a simple onesie. Try and avoid any neons or colors that will cast an unflattering light on baby skin. Neutrals, neutral print/stripes are always best!
Parents and siblings – Same goes with neutrals, or at least avoiding colors that cast unnatural color onto skin tones. Wear something comfortable (especially mamas), but something that you want to see in photographs.
• Pets? Of course, but safety first. If your pet wants to hang out, awesome. If not, no worries.
• Siblings: Big siblings can have overwhelming feelings when a baby comes home so we’ll make them feel special but if they’re not into it, let them warm up on their own time. They might need some patience but when they’re ready, they’ll love giving all their love to their sibling.
• Grandparents: If they’re staying with you or live down the street if you’d like them to be a part of a few photos, then yes, have them be a part of your session.
• Locations: Cozy couch, big bed, coffee in the kitchen. No matter what room we’re photographing in, it’s about loving on your baby so our focus is on those moments. If you want to go outside for a bit, or down the street to wander the park, do that too!
So these newborn photo tips are probably not the kinds of tips you’d expect. Not a lot of planning, shopping, prepping, but mostly, the importance of being comfortable! As a lifestyle photographer, sessions are authentic, natural, true to life so I want you to be comfortable, in your home, with your family.
Are your ready for your newborn lifestyle photo session? Click the button below to get started!
Interested in a family fun, newborn session? Let’s connect and learn more about how we can tell your story.
Already have a date already in mind? Check out my calendar to see if the date is available and then submit a request for that date. If it’s not available and your date is flexible, definitely reach out too.
Kim Ebbets of Photos by Kim E is a San Jose photographer that specializes in authentic, colorful fun photography sessions.
Serving Silicon Valley | Bay Area | San Jose | Morgan Hill | and is available for travel.