My favorite tips for a family photo session
Curious about tips I tell families before our family fun session? Here are my favorite tips for a family photo session.
– Start with an inspiration piece that you base everyone’s wardrobe on. Maybe it’s a new dress or a fun, patterned top but start with one item. Then start coordinating the rest of the outfits. Pinterest is a great starting point for inspiration or treat yourselves to a Stitch Fix surprise.
– Try on the outfits prior to the shoot. Make sure it’s comfortable (if you never wear dresses, don’t, rock out with what you love!).
– If you have littles, bring a few options. You never know if there’s going to be an accident or a mess. Also, depending on our session (hint: I might suggest water balloons, river play), think about a backup outfit for yourselves too.
– The location is important to the outfit that you choose. Green grassy hills, don’t wear green, think of a complementary color to pop against the green. Do you ever match in real life? Now is not the time to all be matching. Sure, you can dress in similar tones but no need for white shirts and jeans for everyone.
– Talk to your photographer about outfits, send images of the outfits for advice, colors ideas, etc.
• Happy bellies:
– Make sure that everyone has had a snack prior because we don’t want a case of the hangries. Feel free to bring your favorite snacks. Better yet, incorporate it into the session like bagels, dim sum, even ice cream!
– Be careful with promising treats to bribe littles/kids after the session. They might only focus on that and not want to do anything until they receive that treat.
• Have fun:
– Do you hate the beach? Then don’t have a beach session. Not a fan of the great outdoors with flying gnats? Then let’s not go there either. Do what your family LOVES to do in real life.
– Smile at each other, chase the kids, kiss your husband, hold hands, play! The memorable photos are the ones where you can tell that everyone is genuinely happy. It will always take time to warm up to your photographer but once you do, have fun! I’ll help with suggestions and poses but really, relax, you’re in great hands!
Are you ready for your family photos? If you’re in the San Jose | Bay Area and are ready to play, click the button to get started!
Interested in a family fun session? Let’s connect about how we can tell your story.
Already have a date already in mind? Check out my calendar to see if the date is available and then submit a request for that date. If it’s not available and your date is flexible, definitely reach out too.
Kim Ebbets of Photos by Kim E is a San Jose photographer that specializes in authentic, colorful fun photography sessions.
Serving Silicon Valley | Bay Area | San Jose | Morgan Hill | and is available for travel.