How to Photograph Toddlers – San Jose Photographer Photos by Kim E
Toddlers are lots of fun to photograph, but they can also be a challenge. They’re moving quickly, have short attention spans, and are not always cooperative. With a little planning and patience, there are some tricks up my sleeve so here are some of my favorite tips on how to photograph toddlers.
• Time of day: We know that a great time to photograph for light is golden hour but that is not the best time of day to photograph toddlers. You want your toddlers to be happy, not overly tired and that can happen when it’s towards the end of the day. I recommend the two hours before their FIRST nap or whenever you notice they are at their happiest. Even if that means first thing in the morning.
• Location: You want to find a location that is interesting and visually appealing, but that is also safe for your toddler to play in. A park, playground, or backyard are all good options but if they don’t like water, let’s not do the beach!
• Get down on their level: Toddlers are at their most natural when they’re playing and exploring. Get down on their level and capture them in action. You can also use a toy or snack to lure them into a pose.
• Use props: Props can help to add interest to your photos and keep your toddler entertained. Some good props for toddler photography include balls, bubbles, building blocks, and stuffed animals.
• Be patient: Toddlers have short attention spans, so you’ll need to be patient when you’re photographing them. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t get the perfect shot right away. Just keep interacting with them, being yourself, be playful and you’ll get some great ones.
Are you ready to memorialize your family’s moments and fun with a family session that is all about your family? Let’s connect, let’s photograph your family’s story, let’s play!
Kim Ebbets of Photos by Kim E is a Bay Area | San Jose photographer who makes your family shine with authentic, fun images!
Located in the Silicon Valley | Bay Area | East Bay | San Jose | Morgan Hill | and is available for travel.